Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Late September

Fall colors are slowly building.

Red is a strong color

this year.

And so we shed September and face October when the heat goes on and off until it's all on and the leaves turn colors then fall until they are all gone and the days grow short as the sun falls lower in the sky each day until by the end of October we will see the beginnings of the cold darkness of the north country.

This time of year my mind always drifts to a day when we lost Katie and Suzie so many years ago. I wonder each year if, the following year, will I remember the day (I long ago forgot the exact day) or at least the time, the end of September, the time just before the fall comes on full strength. A hint of fall and a transition time to that brooding time of gray skies and soaking dark rains. I would like to remember them for a moment and smile for them as they never aged. We go hurtling through space but return to the same vicinity every year relative to the Sun. Perhaps I feel the same things that remind me every year of especially Katie. She gave me a longing for Vermont when I had no idea before meeting her. Here I stayed and when I first came, in November, I suffered through stick season (no leaves) and winter and enjoyed summer before waiting an eternity for my first fall foliage. Then it turned on like a magical light and I was hooked on the fall explosion of colors we have for weeks before the cycle repeats.

Hope you enjoy your fall reflections.

Mary

P.S. AOL is shutting down this Travelogue soon. Stay tuned for where ever I end up drifting to next. mg

1 comment:

Celeste Maia said...

Hello, thanks for joining my blog and now I am joining yours. I did not know if this is the one I should be following, or the Travelogue for the Universe. I read your profile and immediately got very interested. So nice to "meet" you.